How To Make Darn Good Vegan Sausages – Gluten Free & Oil Free

Yes it can be done! You can actually make healthy gluten, free, oil, free, vegan sausages. They just so happen to also be very low sodium and sugar free. It sounds too good to be true but trust me this works. I was inspired by the new Engine 2 Cookbook and their recipe for Epic Brats. Hubby Tom, our friend Lorna and myself made the ones in the cookbook for a potluck on Saturday that we hosted. They lived up to their name and indeed were epic. Our friend, Chef AJ was staying wtih us and because of her sensitivity to legumes she wasn’t able to enjoy the sausages. The next day she asked me if there was anyway we could make them without legumes so she too could enjoy a healthy vegan sausage. I decided to try using the Breakfast Sausage Recipe that is already here on the blog that was created by Kerry Bluemthal a fellow Ultimate Weight Loss member. I am happy to report that it worked just like I was hoping it would. I am calling these Darn Good Vegan Sausages!

Darn Good Vegan Sausage Links
Nutmeg Notebook

You wouldn’t even know that the “casing” on this “sausage” is a brown rice wrapper. Something magical happens during the time it’s in the pan heating up. The texture of the wrap changes and it’s fabulous. You really have to try it and experience it for yourself.

To make it easier for you, hubby Tom and I made a video to show you from start to finish just how easy it is to make these Amazing Vegan Sausages!

Darn Good Vegan Sausage mixture shown in the “hot mess” stage.

A picture is worth a thousand words they say – so here is a photo of  how the oat mixture starts to look like a “hot mess” and it’s ready to take off the burner. You can see this in the video as well.

Form the sausage mixture into oblong rolls and chill for 15 – 20 minutes.

A little time to chill in the fridge makes everything easier to handle so don’t skip this important step. Where plastic gloves if you have them and keep the mixture from sticking to you hands.

Wrapped and ready to chill in the fridge for another 15-20 minutes.

Darn Good Vegan Sausages
Nutmeg Notebook

After the sausages have chilled in the fridge for 15-20 minutes to set the wrapper they are ready to be browned in a preheated non – stick skillet. This is an affiiliate link to my ScanPan that is ceramic and non-stick. I use this for everything – in fact it rarely gets put away in the cupboard because I use it all the time. You can saute and brown everything without a drop of oil – that’s right not one drop of oil. It cleans up easily as well. Gotta love that! Keep turning the sausages over to brown them evenly on all sides – 5-7 minutes is all it takes. That’s when the magic happens and the texture of the brown rice wraps changes into something special. You just have to make them to find out for yourself – I have no words to explain what happens. The recipe in the Engine 2 Cookbook says they can also be grilled so we will have to give that a try as well. Just think of the fun we can have with the BBQ this summer with our Darn Good Sausages. A little mustard and some saurkraut – now we’re talking!

Awesome Vegan Sausages
Nutmeg Notebook

I think there are so many different possibilities when it comes to seasoning the filling mixture for Darn Good Vegan Sausages.  Just like the ones in the Engine 2 cookbook we can make different sausages based on the seasonings and add ins. Maybe some sun dried tomatoes, onion, garlic, pepperoni seasoning and fresh basil for a pizza flavor. Some cooked red lentils, curry, cinnamon and turmeric for an Indian style. What about a little chopped apple, cranberries, sage and onion mixture for an Apple -Cran stuffing type sausge. Mexican with jalapeno, corn, ground cumin, and chipotle powder. See what I mean, the possibilities are endless.

Darn Good Vegan Sausage Links
Nutmeg Notebook

Darn Good Vegan Sausage

• 2 cups water
  • 2 cups rolled oats – gluten free
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seeds – I like the Bob’s Red Mill  Golden Flax
  • 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 Tablespoon rounded – sage
  • 1 Tablespoon rounded – Italian seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon fennel seeds slightly crushed with a mortar and pestal
  • 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Brown Rice Wrappers – purchased from Whole Foods, Health Food Stores or the ethnic section of the grocery store

A bowl of warm water

Put spices, nutritional yeast and ground flax in boiling water in a medium size sauce pan on the stove, stir, add oats and stir while cooking until it starts to come together and looks like a “hot mess.” This takes a couple of minutes because the oats need to cook. Remove from the heat. Line a baking sheet or tray with parchment paper. Using 1/3 cup of mixture at a time roll in your hands to form a log shape, place on parchment paper. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.  Chill for 15-20 minutes in the fridge to help it set up.

Once chilled remove from the fridge. Put warm not hot water in a large bowl. Dip one brown rice wrapper at a time in the water, let excess water drip off. Place damp wrapper on a cutting board. Take one of the sausage logs and place it towards one end of the wrapper, fold up the wrapper nearest you over the sausage mixture, fold in the sides and roll up. Place on a plat or parchment lined baking sheet being careful that they don’t touch as they will stick together. Repeat with all the sausage mixture. Chill for 15-20 minutes. Preheat a non stick skillet over medium heat, add sausages leaving enough room in the pan to roll them over. Cook for 5-7 minutes rolling the sausage over to be sure they brown on all sides. Remove and enjoy with your favorite condiments!

Variations: I plan on makign different sausages based on the seasonings and add ins. Maybe some sun dried tomatoes, onion, garlic, pepperoni seasoning and fresh basil for a pizza flavor. Some cooked red lentils, curry, cinnamon and turmeric for an Indian style. What about a little chopped apple, cranberries, sage and onion mixture for an Apple -Cran stuffing type sausge. Mexican with jalapeno, corn, ground cumin, and chipotle powder. See what I mean, the possibilities are endless.

Basic sausage recipe created by Kerry Blumenthal, wrapping in a brown rice wrapper inspired by Engine 2 Cookbook.

A Little Nutmeg Nugget: When I started this blog in January of 2010 I followed what I understood to be a healthy version of the standard American diet, ironically also known as the “SAD” diet. As interest in my own health and how it was affected by the food I ate evolved, I transitioned to a whole food plant based diet also known as “WFPB” diet. I have wrestled with the fact that this blog still contains all those posts and recipes from the SAD way of eating I have left behind. I no longer advocate for anyone to eat that way. At this time I am leaving those recipes and posts here. It is a record of my journey and how I came to follow a WFPB way of eating. It is my hope that those who still come here for those old recipes will be curious about what I am doing now. Perhaps they will dip their toes across the line as I did and try some plant based recipes and learn more about the health benefits.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1. Jan Biemeck says:

Good morning Tami,
    Watched you sausage video yesterday and I’m going to give this a try.
    They look absolutely delicious! Hoping my husband will give them a try.
    Heading to Whole Foods today,are the brown rice papers in the freezer section?
    Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

Hi Jan you will find them in the Asian food aisle on a shelf. Enjoy!

2. Celine says:

Can these be prepared ahead of time and frozen?

I don’t know if they freeze yet – we haven’t tried to yet. It’s a brand new recipe and I haven’t had time to experiment with it yet. I will keep you posted here on the blog if we freeze them.

We haven’t tried that but if you do let us know!

3. Bonnie says:

Chopped pecans and dried cherries! Thank you, Tami!!

4. Howard Bielich says:

I could not find where to give your video a thumbs up but had no success.
    Anyway, thanks for the video! I found a place in Chico to get the brown rice wraps so will be making some to heat up tomorrow for my neighbor’s weekly get together. I always try to bring something they will like, to show them they could enjoy WFPB-noSOS food. It’s a tuff crowd though. Cattle Ranchers!

Hi Howard,

Cattle ranchers would be a tough crowd for sharing your love of plants with! Good luck with the sausages – I find sometimes that if I don’t try to sell the food as a replica of a standard American diet food it goes over better. So instead of calling them sausages maybe call them a wrap!

Happy healthy cooking,

Hi Tami….how nice to hear your voice! I was just used to seeing you in photos!
    Your sausages look amazing! I have started a Gluten Free way of eating. Not a celiac but gluten bothers me. After a month of eliminating gluten I feel great!
    I plan to spend some time looking at all your new recipes and reading about your journey!

Hi Carol – I eat gluten free because of my hypothyroidism and it sure does make a difference!

Hugs,

6. Carolyn says:

Well…. I didn’t find Brown wrappers. So hopefully the clear ones won’t look too creepy. Definitely going to try this, this weekend. We miss our brats!!!

Carolyn, I think they will work just fine! They are bit thinner than the brown rice ones so they might tear more easily but it should be fine! Let me know how they turn out.

Happy healthy cooking,

7. Rebecca says:

Hi Tami,

Are you using dried leafy sage or dried ground sage in this recipe?

Thank you for the great work you do here and for sharing your recipes with us.

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca – I used dried ground sage as that is what I had on hand.

8. Jeannie says:

Hello Tami,

I was interested in the sausage recipe and the information but then I saw your plates…they are so pretty. Would you tell me the maker and name of the dinnerware? I would so appreciate it. Thank you for all of your time and information of the Ultimate eating way.

Hi Jeannie,

I buy random kitchen ware for blog photos! The green rimmed plate says Pier One – Seasside on the Bottom. My white plates are Apilco from France and available from William Sonoma. I love dishes!

Happy Cooking,

9. Jeannie says:

I am back after watching the sausage making video. Those look good and they would be a great filling main course or added to salads and probably many other uses.

Jeannie – they are so good and versatile. I hope you give them a try and let me know what you think.

Happy Cooking,

10. Jeannie says:

Hi Tami,

Thank you for the replies; both for the dishes…I love dishes too, I looked for the Pier 1 Seaside but did not find but one salad plate. I will keep looking off and on.

and for the sausages…I bet I would love them. I also told a friend about them and I am going to send her the link to your recipe video so she will be able to watch and also send it to other friends who may be interested.

Thanks again so much. Have a wonderful day.

Jeannie

I am pretty sure I have had the plate for years – maybe more pieces will show up!

Enjoy your weekend!

11. Judy says:

Great video! I love watching all of your videos–feels like I’m sitting in your kitchen having a chat!
    Can’t wait to try these sausages on my family!!
    I like seeing your youtube videos but when I sign up or comment I start getting an incredible amount of unwanted you-tube stuff sent to me. Any way around this?

Keep posting–I’ll keep watching!

Hi Judy,
      I am glad you like the videos – love to get feedback! You Tube does try to keep you watching what they think you would like – Tom says there seems to be more of that than there used to be. I don’t know if there is anyway to stop that or not – Google it and see what comes up!

Happy Cooking,

12. Susie says:

So yummy! Can I freeeze the sausages?

I don’t know if they freeze well – I haven’t tried. I suggest freezing one and see how it works!

13. chris demers says:

OMG…I am so glad I came across your site….
    I just made your Creamy Balsamic Dressing…..FINALLY found a no oil dressing that I like…it is soooo….tasty!!
    And will be trying to make these sausages as well next week….
    following your you-tube channel now too!
    tonight’s dinner will be a BIG SALAD with your dressing!!!!!
    THANK YOU….THANK YOU….THANK YOU for your videos, your blog, your recipes!!!
    Just beginning this journey and you have excited and inspired me….I can do this….and I thank you from the bottom of my heart <3

Aaaaah! Thank you Chris – it is feedbback like yours that makes this all worth while. I am so happy to know you like the salad dressing. Wishing you well on your journey into plants!

Happy healthy cooking,