Split Pea & Yam Soup

Split pea soup is one of my all time favorite soups! The addition of yams makes it even more special – the creaminess of the split peas is the perfect match with yams – who knew? This is a simple recipe that goes together quickly and split peas are a fairly fast cook as well. In just over an hour you can have dinner on the table!  Make a side salad or serve it up with a thick slice of whole grain bread and dinner is served.

Split Pea & Yam SoupThe inspiration for this recipe comes from the The Health Promoting Cookbook by Alan Goldhamer. I had to adapt a few of my favorite ingredients from other split pea soup recipes and the results were so fantastic that I have made this soup twice! It’s on the menu again this week. This time I will be making a loaf of beer bread to go with it. Stay tuned for my veganized version of beer bread – its company approved! Although the yams in the soup  photo look like regular potatoes they are actually a Japanese yam that is white inside – but it tastes like a regular yam. I bought them my mistake but we happen to really like them.

Split Pea & Yam Soup

• 4 cups vegetable stock – low sodium
  • 6 cups water
  • 2 cups dry split peas, rinsed
  • 3 large yams – about 26 ounces, peeled and cubed
  • 3 ribs celery, diced
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Herbs de Provence
  • 2 bay leaves

In a large soup pot bring the water, broth and split peas to a boil. Add the yams, celery, carrots, onion and spices. Simmer for one hour or until split peas and veggies are fully cooked and tender, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves before serving. We like our soup to be chunky but if you prefer a creamy smooth soup you can put it in a blender in batches and process until smooth. This soup freezes well.

Slow Cooker option – toss everything into your slow cooker – cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Adjust cooking time according to how hot your slow cooker is. Mine runs super hot and things always cook way faster in it than what the recipes state.

Yield: 10 servings

Per Serving: 154 Calories, 3 g Carbs, 0 g Fat, 10 g Protein, 11 g Fiber, O mg Chol

Recipe inspired by a recipe in The Health Promoting Cookbook

Just because I have a food blog it doesn’t mean that I always have motivation or creativity in the kitchen. Just like everyone else, there are times when I can’t think of what to fix for dinner!

It’s so easy to get in a rut and keep making the same things week after week. To dig myself out of the rut I browse other food blogs as well as my own and I look through cookbooks. I just ordered some new whole foods plant based cookbooks from Amazon I can’t wait to read them (yes, I read cookbooks from front to back like they are novels) and choose some new recipes to try.

I find that the change in seasons is also helpful. Fall foods like apples, squash and pumpkin are making their way onto our menu. I made some delicious chocolate chip pumpkin muffins with no dairy or eggs that we gobbled up! After browsing through the tried and true recipes here on my own blog, I chose several that are going on the menu soon,  Spicy Pumpkin Butter, Pumpkin Apple Butter, Roasted Caramel Glazed Cinnamon Apples, Kale Broccoli Slaw, Kale Waldorf Salad , Oven Roasted Butternut Squash with Apples & Pecans- m-m-m-m- doesn’t that all sound delicious?

Happy Fall!

Leave me a comment and let me know you were here!

Do you ever get into a cooking rut? What do you do to get out of it?

Split pea soup – love it or hate it?

1 ping

I love split pea soup and the addition of yams sounds wonderful. BTW, I made your slow cooker beef stew the other day, and it was fabulous. I don’t make meat dishes very often anymore, and hubby said he could eat that dish every day. Well, that won’t happen… :) Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that we really enjoyed the dish.

I actually love eating the same food again and again. But the boys get usually tired of the same dishes over and over pretty quickly, so I force myself to switch things up.

Oh Andrea, I am so happy to know that your family enjoyed the stew. That is an old family favorite around here. Switching things up on the menu is good for us – that’s how we get a bigger variety of nutrients!

My slow cooker runs hot too – drives me nuts – if I don’t have it really full it will actually start boiling!

I am on the fence with split pea soup – if I do eat it, it has to have LOTS of ham and hot sauce! :D

Yam is the same as sweet potato, right?

I don’t really know if yam and sweet potatoes are the same thing or not Biz! I will have to google that. :)

3. wendy (healthy girl's kitchen) says:

When I saw the title of this post, I was sure you were going to be blogging about a recipe that I love . . . Chef Aj’s Split Pea soup that is made in a pressure cooker. Now I know where she got the inspiration from! Isn’t it wonderful!?!

It’s so yummy!

4. Veronica says:

LOVE split pea soup! Never had it without ham though but I think this sounds really good. I think it’s also a funny play on the traditional soup with ham b/c yam rhymes with it, plus the chunks resemble it in a way! Too cool.

Yes to all you said Veronica!

I am the definition of cooking rut except not a rut for me – I just am fine with it.. :) I love the sound of your fall recipes though – LOVE this season of smells & spices!!!

This is getting made for dinner tonight. Bill isn’t feeling well and I think this will be an ultimate comfort food for him. Since I don’t particularly enjoy cooking, I don’t really get into ruts. My challenge is getting myself revved up to cook at all. Reading cooking blogs has really helped that and I’ve become much better since entering the world of blogs. Was wondering about your foot – you haven’t mentioned it lately and not done much hiking. Is everything o.k?

I am glad to hear that reading cooking blogs has helped you in the kitchen Sharon! You are observant, I haven’t been able to go hiking since we hiked the Lake Sylvia trail. It was a rough trail and much like walking on a dry river bed as it was all rocky and it was a major set back for my foot. After hiking it my foot swelled and has been very sore on the bottom from walking over all the rocks and stones. I have had to baby it along and as a consequence of favoring my right foot the sciatic nerve in my left leg is dealing me fits as well as the bursitis in my left shoulder! I’m taking it a day at a time – some days I can go for my daily neighborhood walk and some days I can’t. Hubby Tom recently injured his knee and a toe so he is completely off the trail and daily walks for a while. We miss hiking and biking but we know that this is but a temporary set back. It’s frustrating to say the least but I am trying to be patient. Thank you for asking. :)

I don’t know that I’ve ever had split pea soup! I’m not a fan of most peas that I’ve tried, but looking at the photo makes me wonder how this would taste with lima beans instead of peas. :)

We have different likes – I’m not a big fan of lima beans! :)

8. Kim says:

We love vegan split pea soup in the fall/winter. My husband never tires of it, but the kids will only eat it once or twice and are done with it. We tend to eat more soups in the fall/winter. Split pea soup is great in the pressure cooker too! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I could eat split pea soup every week! I made a yellow split pea soup in the pressure cooker that was so delicious and quick. In fact I have made it twice now and forgot to photograph it for the blog both times! I guess I just need to make it again. :)

9. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

Oh boy do I ever get into cooking ruts! I guess I just let them run their course…and hope for a quick recovery! Love the sounds of this soup!! On the soup list for this fall for sure!

10. veganmiam.com says:

I’ve never had yam in split pea soups and I agree, split pea soups are so yummy! Interesting cookbook, thanks for sharing the inspirational recipe. BTW, cute plate. :)

11. Sarah Keegan says:

This looks delicious! Is a serving size 1 cup?

Sorry I don’t remember the serving size. You can measure how many cups you get and then divide it into 10 servings. Happy cooking!

1. My Favorite Plant Based/Vegan Recipes » Nutmeg Notebook says: