This is a throw back to my days before I adopted a whole food plant based lifestyle. I do like a good casserole – there is something comforting about them. For this one I use leftover brown rice, steamed broccoli and my Chipotle Nacho Cheese sauce made with butternut squash. The squash makes it a little sweeter and more creamy. I like it creamy for this recipe.
Simple but delicious.
A big salad with Vegan Ranch Dressing would be perfect with this casserole meal.
You could double the recipe and make it in a 9 x 13 pan to feed a family or to have leftovers.
I made it in an 8 inch square and split it with Tom. I should have made a double batch.
You can even make a single serving with 1 cup rice, 1 cup broccoli and cheese sauce to taste. Yum! It doesn’t have to have a topping – you decide.
The Vegify Cauliflower Crumbles works well for a little topping in place of bread crumbs for a gluten free option. You really don’t need a topping – you could just add a layer of cheese sauce on top, that would work too.
The Certified Reconditioned Model V1200 is $150 off, While Supply Lasts.
The certified reconditioned Vitamix V1200 comes with a 64 ounce low profile container, ideal for blending medium to large batches for family meals or entertaining. Variable speed control lets you control the texture of your blending. From creamy smooth smoothies to chunky dips and salsa. It includes a 20 ounce SELF – DETECT blending cup with a blade base, that allows you to make smaller batches. Store right in the 20 ounce container in the fridge or take a smoothie with you for an on the go snack! It also includes a low -profile tamper, the Simply Blending Cookbook and a 5 year warranty. The Certified Reconditioned Model V1200 is $150 off until supply lasts – Check out the Vitamix.com exclusive sale here. This Vitamix model has the self detect technology so it will work with the Vitamix Food Processor Attachment. I love my Vitamix Food Processor and use it all the time. It is so convenient because it fits on the blender base which has a permanent place on my kitchen counter.
Here is a little video showing you how to make the cheese sauce and the casserole!
Cheesy Broccolli Rice Casserole – Vegan
- Vitamix Blender, Oven
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups broccoli florets, lightly steamed
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced, including the green tops
- 2-3 cups Chiptole Nacho Cheese Sauce
Topping – Optional
- Vegify Cauliflower Crumbles or bread crumbs
- sweet paprika
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Make a batch of Chipotle Nacho Cheese Sauce using butternut squash in stead of the potatoes – see recipe below
- In a large bowl mix together the broccoli, rice and 2-3 cups of the cheese sauce.
- Spoon mixture into an 8 inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle with Vegify Crumbles or bread crumbs, dust with sweet paprika over the top for a little color.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 mintues or until hot.
- Serve with a little extra cheese sauce on top.
For the casserole I suggest using butternut squash in place of the potatoes. It is less starchy and stays creamier when it cools. It is also a little sweeter which works well in this recipe. You can cut the recipe in half if you wish if you only want it for making the casserole recipe.
If you make the full cheese recipe you will have leftovers. They are perfect for dipping oil free air fried corn tortilla chips. Or try my Ponachos recipe – it is scrumptious.
Chipotle Nacho Cheese Sauce
- High Powered Blender
- 2 cups Cooked potatoes (peeled or unpeeled) OR butternut squash – peeled, microwaved, boiled or steamed
- 1 cup Cooked carrots – peeled – microwaved, boiled or steamed
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder – or to taste – cut back if you don't like spicy
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon jalapeno powder or to taste or use a fresh jalapeno optional
- Put all ingredients in a high powered blender and blend for 2-3 minutes or until smooth and creamy. If you blend it long enough in a Vitamix or Blendtec blender it will get nice and hot!
- This sauce does firm up when refrigerated and if it gets too thick thin it with some unsweetened plant milk or water when reheating to make it pourable again.
- Keep it refrigerated – it will last for 5-6 days. The sauce does get thicker when refrigerated so when reheating you can add a little water or unsweetened plant milk and heat it up in the microwave on 50% power to heat it up gently. Or put it in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring while it heats up. Use a wire whisk to help make it smooth and creamy.I haven't tried freezing it myself but subscribers tell us they have frozen it with it success. If it separates when thawed just put it in the blender to make it all smooth and creamy again.
Get Healthy Stay Healthy One Meal At A Time
Please note that we partner with affiliate platforms where commission may be earned based on clicks and or purchases – all at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links help bloggers like me to fund the free content that we provide on our blogs. This page contains affiliate links.
Nutmeg Notebook Online Courses
We invite you to purchase this course to learn all about the “What, When, Why, and How” of batch cooking, to support your quest to live a healthy, whole food, plant based life style. The course contains a 100 page eBook & course guide that includes over 50 of Tami’s recipes. There are 10 lesson modules containing 32 videos, totaling over 15 hours of comprehensive instruction. Tami will cover batch cooking concepts, techniques, and stratagies, as well as specific recipe demonstrations.
Tami Kramer’s Beautiful Chopped Salad Course includes a complete full color 40+ page recipe PDF eBook and 12 instructional videos. In the course Tami will teach you how to batch prep salads, what to shop for, and tips to ensure that your stored salads will last for a week. She will share different methods for chopping salads, and all the details about how she tops these beauties.
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (his and her’s) to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl salad bowl order when you use our Holland Bowl affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.