If you need a simple, fast weeknight meal this Mexican Quinoa Black Beans & Corn recipe also lovingly known as “Beanwah!” could be the answer. We made it in our 6 qt. pressure cooker It uses simple ingredients that you most likely have on hand and it cooks quickly in any electric pressure cooker. (Use your Instant Pot, or any other brand or model). You can get dinner on the table in no time. Serve it as is or adorn it with avocado, and salsa then scoop it up in some no oil Air Fried Corn Tortilla Chips. It is equally as delicious as a taco filling or served over a bed of lettuce with your favorite salsa. Try it with some of Tami’s Easy Red Salsa. Perfect to pack in a back pack for your next hike – yes it’s even good served cold or at room temperature.
I smile everytime I think about making this recipe. Most recipes have a story behind them and this one reminds me of a fun day in my kitchen. We bought our adult son a pressure cooker and I offered him and his girlfriend a day of cooking lessons to go with it. They were delighted so we set aside a day for them to come over and cook with me and get them up to speed on how to use an electric pressure cooker.
We made a few recipes and sampled some for dinner. They were amazed at how easy it is to cook with an electric pressure cooker. They told me about a recipe that they make all the time on the stove top that they found on the internet that they had since renamed “Beanwah!” They usually have the main ingredients on hand – quinoa and black beans and it was a quick and easy recipe to make after a long day at work. I asked them to text me the recipe and I would convert it to a pressure cooker recipe. Of course I couldn’t leave the recipe as is – I felt compelled to put my own twist on it. I added onion, garlic and my own seasonings as well as some fresh lime juice. It quickly became a favorite for me as well.
You can make it with regular quinoa or tri colored quinoa.
Here it is made with a tri colored quinoa. A little fresh lime juice adds just the right punch of flavor.
Watch the video to see how easy this recipe is to make.
We used our new Mealthy MultiPot version 2.0 – 6 QT pressure cooker. Use our coupon code NUTMEGNOTEBOOK to save $10 on any purchase of $59.95 or more when you use our Mealthy affiliate link.
Here are the spices I used in this recipe. The 365 Chili Powder is from Whole Foods Market. The other spices are milled in small batches at Local Spicery.
You can order directly from Local Spicery. If you put Nutmeg Notebook in the comments section at check out you can get 2 free sample spice packets with your order. You can even specify which 2 spices you would like to try. Watch our Local Spicery Video and tour of the store.
I texted our son my pressure cooker version of their Beanwah recipe with my changes and they quickly gave it a try. They used it as a filling for tacos and loved it! Yeah!
Mexican Quinoa Black Beans & Corn aka Beanwah!
- Electric Pressure Cooker
- 1 1/2 cups onion chopped
- 1 each jalapeno pepper, seeded, diced
- 4 each garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 3/4 cups salt free vegetable broth or water
- 1 14.5 ounce can organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 each juice and zest of a fresh lime
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Set a 6 qt electric pressure cooker to saute, when hot add a splash of low sodium vegetable broth and then add the diced onions, stir frequently, after 2-3 mintues add the jalapeno pepper and garlic, saute another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, quinoa, beans, corn and spices to the pot.
- Put the lid on the pressure cooker, set the time for 5 minutes on high, natural pressure release.
- When the pressure comes down, open the lid carefully, add the lime juice, lime zest and cilantro.
- Serve hot, cold or room temperature.
- Delcious served as a taco filling, over a chopped salad or over a bed of greens. Take it hiking, pack it in your work lunch bag, serve it with oil free air fried corn tortilla chips.
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Thank you for your support!
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canda we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Ocassionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood bowl to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl order when you use our affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.