This chowder includes two of my favorite starches, potatoes and corn. I couldn’t stop there so I also added wild rice and leeks to the mix and that just took it over the top to a whole other level of deliciousness. It’s definitely comfort food time when you serve this chowder to your family and friends. You can use fresh, frozen or canned corn. I like Yukon Gold Potatoes because they are so full of flavor but use whatever kind of potatoes you have in your pantry. I just know this, you need to make this scrumptious chowder and taste what delicious healthy food is all about.
I make this in an 8 QT Instant Pot so there is plenty to feed a crowd or you have plenty to freeze for future meals. If you don’t have an 8 QT pressure cooker cut the recipe in half and make it in your 6 QT.
If you don’t have a pressure cooker you can cook it on the stove top in a large dutch oven.
This chowder is thick and creamy, full of flavor and it’s simply going to make you happy. I came up with this recipe recently when I needed to make something to take to a vegan potluck. I just started tossing things together and luckily I wrote it down as I tweaked it. Like a lot of soups and stews, this chowder is even better the second day. Some people say they don’t like leftovers – that is such a shame as so many things get better after a day or two in the fridge.
For extra richness and creaminess I recommend using JOI Almond Milk Base. It’s just one ingredient – almonds and the flavor is amazing. You can also use soy milk – which has a little healthy fat and it will add that richness and creaminess that we want with a chowder.
This is a potato corn chowder so if you can’t have either one of those I have no substitutes for you on this one!
Smoked Paprika – regular or sweet paprika
Chipotle Chili Powder – if you don’t like the smoky heat leave it out
Dill weed – not a fan – try tarragon – start with a smaller amount
Wild Rice – brown rice, black rice, basmati, quinoa, millet
What if my chowder is too thick or too thin?
How starchy and how much water the potatoes have is different depending on what type of potato you use. Russet potatoes are very starchy but have less water. Waxy potatoes like gold potatoes are less starchy but have more water.
If your chowder is not thick enough remove a cup or two of the chowder and blend it in your blender – then pour it back into the pot, this will thicken the chowder.
If your chowder is too thick add more plant milk or vegetable broth to get the consistency you prefer.
USE DISCOUNT CODE NUTMEG WHEN ORDERING JOI PLANT MILK BASES
The Local Spicery Bada Bing Bouillon is what I used in this soup. The Bacon Seasoning makes a yummy garnish – get that bacon flavor in a healthy way. You can use my affiliate link to order from Local Spicery.
I love soup and salad together so I would serve the chowder with a side salad or this Fruity Coleslaw.
For dessert you can serve fresh fruit or how about this delightful Apple Oat Crisp.
Vegan Potato Corn Chowder
- Pressure Cooker
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cups carrots, peeled, diced
- 2 leeks, white part only, washed, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 10-12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced optional but it adds color
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 12 stems fresh thyme, leaves removed, discard stems, or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika adjust to your personal preference
- 1/2 teaspoon Chipotle Chili Powder adjust to your personal preference
- 1 teaspoon salt substitute – optional
- 4 teaspoons parsley flakes,dried
- 4 teaspoons chives, dried
- 2 tablespoons dried dill
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 cups frozen corn, divided – some will be pureed a 16 oz bag is about 3 1/2 cups
- 4 cups plant milk, preferably one with some fat JOI Almond milk or a Soy Milk
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- Press saute on your 8 QT Instant Pot electric pressure cooker, add celery, carrots, leeks, onion, garlic and red bell pepper. Add a little water or broth to prevent sticking. Saute about 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add diced potatoes, broth, all of the seasonings, and 4 cups of the corn, reserving 2 cups for later. Put the lid on the pressure cooker, cook on high pressure for 6 minutes, quick pressure release.
- When the quick pressure release is done, remove the lid. Pour in the 4 cups of plant milk and stir to combine. Carefully ladle out 4 cups of the chowder mixture into a high powered blender container like a Vitamix, that has a lid that allows the steam to escape, add the remaining 2 cups of corn and blend on high speed until smooth and creamy. Pour this mixture back into the pressure cooker pot along with the 2 cups of cooked wild rice. Stir until well incorporated.
- How starchy and how much water the potatoes have is different depending on what type of potato you use. Russet potatoes are very starchy but have less water. Waxy potatoes like gold potatoes are less starchy but have more water.If your chowder is not thick enough remove a cup or two of the chowder and blend it in your blender – then pour it back into the pot, this will thicken the chowder. If your chowder is too thick add more plant milk or vegetable broth to get the consistency you prefer.
- Give the chowder a taste and make any adjustments needed. I usually add a little more fresh or dried spices to the finished product when I use the pressure cooker just to enhance the flavor.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh chives, sliced green onions or a sprinkle of fresh thyme. A little Local Spicery Bacon Seasoning would be perfect sprinkled on top. A side salad and some fresh fruit will round out the meal.
- Freeze this soup if desired. When you heat it up you may need to add a little more broth or plant milk.
Get Healthy Stay Healthy One Meal At A Time
Please note that we partner with affiliate platforms where commission may be earned based on clicks and or purchases – all at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links help bloggers like me to fund the free content that we provide on our blogs. This page contains affiliate links.
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products and books. Nutmeg Notebook is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program that is designed to provide a means for sites to earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support.
Nutmeg Notebook Online Courses
Use Discount Code Nutmeg30 to Save 30% off Courses
We invite you to purchase this course to learn all about the “What, When, Why, and How” of batch cooking, to support your quest to live a healthy, whole food, plant based life style. The course contains a 100 page eBook & course guide that includes over 50 of Tami’s recipes. There are 10 lesson modules containing 32 videos, totaling over 15 hours of comprehensive instruction. Tami will cover batch cooking concepts, techniques, and strategies, as well as specific recipe demonstrations.
Tami Kramer’s Beautiful Chopped Salad Course includes a complete full color 40+ page recipe PDF eBook and 12 instructional videos. In the course Tami will teach you how to batch prep salads, what to shop for, and tips to ensure that your stored salads will last for a week. She will share different methods for chopping salads, and all the details about how she tops these beauties.
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (His and Her’s) to chop our salads every day. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl salad bowl order when you use our Holland Bowl affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.